Stereo Comics   +  TIME

LIVING WITH WAR

Just when I'm starting to think this is a slow news month for the kinda crap I write about, along comes Neil Young, bless his flannel shirts, with news of a new l.p., LIVING WITH WAR. In a line of ticker tape news running along the bottom of his home page "Neil's Garage", he says: "I just finished a new record, ...a power trio with trumpet and 100 voices, ...recorded earlier this month, ...I think it is a metal version of Phil Ochs and Bob Dylan, ...Metal Folk Protest?" Anyway, the ticker goes on to give a list of thank-yous and credits that list the band on this project as two veterans from Neil Young And The Restless, a.k.a "The ELDORADO band", Chad Cromwell and Rick Rosas. If this project is half as vital as that (career-best) Japan-only mini-album, it'll be the best thing he's done since RAGGED GLORY. The ticker ends with the lyrics from the title track, a suitably impassioned piece of Neil's signature naive doggerel. But I don't care, 'cus as I'm reading it, I'm hearing the ridiculously big guitar sound of "Heavy Love" and "Cocaine Eyes" in my head, and ooooh yes, I've got the old Neil Young horn again.

Now don't let me down, you hairy old hippy.