Stereo Comics   +  Tan Eng Huat

Eli, Eli, lama sabachthani?

Saw some preview pages tonight, and they brought a recurring thought back up. I really can't make my mind up about Si Spurrier's writing at all. More often than not, I find it a cross between the worst tendencies of John Smith (characters spouting non sequiturs and techno-drivel like there's no tomorrow) and Dan Abnett (puns, puns, puns). And then, along comes this page from SILVER SURFER: IN THY NAME #3, which makes all of Marvel's previous Silver Surfer-as-Messiah analogies look subtle. In the words of Tufnell, it's a thin line between clever and stupid, and for the life of me, I haven't decided which this is. Still, I'm paying for this with my own cash money, so he can't complain.

Bloody good art, though (by Tan Eng Huat). And a great cover, too (Pope's).