Stereo Comics   +  TIME

Steve Earle: An Apology

A couple of days ago I may have gave the impression that I disliked Steve Earle's fine recording JERUSALEM. This is, however, not the case. I spent my day off this week re-alphabetising my CD collection (hey, you can take the boy out of the library, but you can't take the library out of the boy) while listening to THE REVOLUTION STARTS NOW. After it finished, I put on JERUSALEM for a A/B contrast, and discovered that it was a stronger record than my (increasingly) faulty memory had given credit for. I had remembered it as largely constructed of distorted guitar drones over drum loops, but on rediscovery found it to be full of light and shade. The two albums sit well as companion pieces, JERUSALEM being about Earle's disgust at the current government in his homeland, but THE REVOLUTION STARTS NOW showing him as having worked through the negativity, coming through it to fight positively for regime change. The Michael Moore of rock? You betcha.