Stereo Comics   +  Wolverine

In response to "9 WOLVERINE BOOKS YOU MUST READ BEFORE GOING TO SEE THE MOVIE!"

1. Well there's this one, definitely.

2. And I loved this as a kid. Read it 'til it fell to bits.

3. And this is maybe the most influential super-hero comic of its time. Even Alan Moore would rip it off soon after, and HEROES seems to be based entirely on it.

4. Well, John Byrne left and things got a bit... inessential. Won't recommend the Claremont/Miller mini 'cuz it's tedious. But I remember thinking Claremont got his mojo back somewhat when Paul Smith came on board, and I loved this comic, too.

5. Even though I remember the Smith era fondly, I realise Claremont was very much repeating and recycling plots and themes for diminishing returns by then. Don't think I ever truly loved anything he did from this point on. Didn't enjoy another Wolverine comic (especially his dreadful solo series) until this cropped up. And even then, I only really like it for the art.

6. And again, I only like this for the art.

7. And then the long drought. Eventually Grant Morrison signed on to do the X-Men, and there was something of a knock-on effect throughout the line, which resulted in Milligan's X-Statix and this neglected classic.

8. Uh, and at a pinch... um... Nope, that's it. Graeme McMillan is maybe just a little bit more attached to the character than I am. He can think of loads of shit. But I wouldn't touch half of it with a bargepole.