Stereo Comics   +  James Bond

Pouring down the broadway in the rain.

Last week I was discussing the notion of Jack White doing the new Bond theme, while hurtling along the N165 in France in an Aston Martin DB8. Only kidding. It was a Toyota Corolla. I said to my sceptical pilot that White is enough of a McCartney fiend to go completely LIVE AND LET DIE on our asses. So here's something of a preview of the track, and, no, it's not McCartneyesque. In fact, it sounds like a late model Page/Bonham turnaround (hardly new territory, then), with added weak-beer John Barry pastiche sections. Anyhoo, I'll reserve judgement until I hear the full track. I'm enough of a sucker for both White and Alicia Keyes to hope they pull victory from the jaws of defeat.

*Update* Heard it on the radio this afternoon and actually liked it. It's the best Bond theme in many years, though that may be to damn it with faint praise (when was the last decent one? Nobody Does It Better in 1977?).