Stereo Comics   +  Keith Giffen

Postie resignation imminent, naked fat guy blamed

My delightful little blonde postie got a real eyeful of my pulsating nekkid flesh as I picked up the post this morning. She was knockin' me up at all hours with another little present from Mr Amazon, this time, the Vertigo graphic novel LOVECRAFT, and the second volume of DC's JIMMY OLSEN BY JACK KIRBY reprints. I love a girl in uniform.

Any way, LOVECRAFT, by the screenwriter Hans Rodionoff and the fine Argentinian artist Enrique Breccia is top notch, the best attempt I've ever seen in any visual medium to replicate the mood of H.P. Lovecraft (though Alan Moore, Grant Morrison, Gordon Rennie, and Mike Mignola have all done pretty good stabs at it, too).

Kirby's run on JIMMY OLSEN is the red headed step child of his Fourth World saga (quite literally in this case, BOOM BOOM!!), is (of course) a heartbreaking work of towering genius, and raises at least one question: how come this has been reprinted in colour, while NEW GODS, MR MIRACLE and FOREVER PEOPLE are languishing in black and white? Riddle me THAT, Mr. Robert Greenberger.
Also, if you wanted blinding literal demonstration of my earlier theories on the demerits of Vince Colletta versus the merits of Mike Royer, open this book at the spread between pages 102 and 103. On your left, the last page of issue 145, inked by Colletta; on your right, the first page of 146, inked by Royer. No contest.