Stereo Comics   +  Spaced

Irish blogger develops crazed theory shocker

Okay, so a couple of days ago I received two box sets in the post from www.amazon.co.uk - the new STAR WARS set, natch, and the new collected edition of SPACED series one and two (though they might as well call it the complete SPACED, as whatever their intentions, it'll prove ever harder to get that now-stellar cast and crew back together again to make the long-promised series three, as they all go off to bigger and better things post- SHAUN OF THE DEAD - the documentary feature that makes up disc three of the set as good as admits this).

I haven't even gotten STAR WARS out of its cellophane yet, so I can't comment on that (or specifically, the fourth disc of extras - I really should, as I hear the documentaries are very good), but I've spent the last couple of nights binging on large portions of SPACED.

I'm developing a theory - I can never actually be sure how good SHAUN OF THE DEAD really was, because my judgement will have been influenced by the residual deep affection for Simon Pegg's and Nick Frost's characters Tim and Mike from SPACED. If I had came to SHAUN cold, would I have believed in that friendship as readily? Dunno, but they have that well-worn "hetero life partner" chemistry that Kevin Smith and Jason Meyes bring to their JAY AND SILENT BOB projects.

I know that for the same reason (my residual love of SPACED), while watching SHAUN, my favourite bits were every time Jessica Stevenson turned up in her recurring cameo role. Its similarly charming whenever Lucy Davis and Martin Freeman's characters have their chance (and totally unremarked) brief shared screentime - in fact, as their cute courtship was most people's favourite thing about THE OFFICE, its a wonder this wasn't telegraphed (or publicised at the time) a bit more obviously. As the two analoguous groups of survivors file past each other, its a shame Davis and Freeman's characters didn't share a furtive glance or knowing comment.

Speaking of THE OFFICE, I had completely forgotten about Ricky Gervais' brief but pivotal cameo in SPACED as a leery estate agent until seeing it again a couple of nights ago. Watching it now, it seems a dry run for David Brent.

In short, if you haven't seen SPACED or SHAUN OF THE DEAD, do. They're great, and you won't regret it.

Plus - see that by-line? Still got it, suckas!