Stereo Comics   +  The Shadow

Stuff, and opinions about stuff.

Francesco Francavilla will be doing some covers for Garth Ennis's run on THE SHADOW for Dynamite Comics. The Dynamite modus operandi is to commission a load of alternate covers by great artists, but have the interiors by someone competent but underwhelming. I love The Shadow, knowing the property almost entirely just as a comic, and it was always a great looking comic. Going back, you had Kyle Baker, Bill Sienkiewicz, Howard Chaykin, Frank Robbins, Michael Kaluta. It was hard enough finding any art by Campbell on't web, and what I saw didn't blow me away. Here's hoping he raises his game for the material. But hey, this Francavilla piece really sings.

Duncan Fegredo has chosen the next theme over at the What Not, and it's "Cosmic Odyssey". That should give the amazing roster of artists over there plenty of excuses to break out the Kirby Krackle. Duncan kicks off with this piece.

This couldn't help but remind me of the HAVE SPACESUIT, WILL TRAVEL tribute Duncan did for the ever-impressive Hey Oscar Wilde! It's Clobberin' Time! site.

Which in turn got me thinking about his Ballad Of Halo Jones piece. And his Star Wars covers. Basically, if I was an editor with any sense at a publisher with deep pockets, I'd be throwing money at Fegredo to draw a hard SF comic.